Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February 10 - dfree® Devotions for Financial Freedom

Verse
Do not charge a fellow Israelite interest, whether on money or food or anything else that may earn interest. Deuteronomy 23:19 NIV

Thought
When I received my first credit card in the mail, it was to purchase gas for my car. I bought so much more gas that first month than I ever had prior to having that card. The first credit card bill that I received shocked me. I never realized how much gas I was buying because using the card to get gas did not feel like I was spending money.

I also could not afford to pay the entire bill. Much to my delight, I did not have to pay the entire bill. The credit card company only wanted me to pay $20 as a minimum payment. I was so relieved that I felt like this was a blessing. And it was until I discovered that most of my $20 payment went to something called interest. I was 18 years old and prior to that experience, all that I knew about interest was what I had for my girlfriend!

Interest is the fee that we pay for the right to use other people's money. Interest is also the fee that others pay us for the use of our money. When we pay interest, we are losing money. When we earn interest, we are growing our money.

God instructed the Israelites that they should not charge one another interest. The other side of that scenario is this: avoid paying interest as often as you can.

Prayer
"God, give me the patience that I need to avoid paying interest as often as I can. Amen"

No comments: