Monday, January 27, 2014

January 27 - dfree® Devotions for Financial Freedom

Verse
The Lord said to Moses, "This applies to the Levites: Men twenty-five years old or more shall come to take part in the work at the tent of meeting, but at the age of fifty, they must retire from their regular service and work no longer." Numbers 8:23-25

Thought
I didn't begin thinking seriously about retirement until I was into my forties. That makes me normal. Most of us are not doing much to prepare for retirement even if we have begun to think about it. So many people today have resigned themselves to the idea that they will work for the rest of their lives without ever enjoying a retirement. Consider God's strategy for the Levites.

These men were given a very important role in the religious life of God's people. On the very same day that God gave Moses instructions concerning their appointment and their assignment, God included in the instructions a mandatory retirement age. They were to serve from age 25 to age 50 and then they were required to retire. By making this information a part of their initial instructions it would be impossible for them to postpone thinking about and planning for retirement.

Had I begun to prepare for retirement at age 25 I may be retired today. And if I had chosen not to retire, it would not have been because I was not prepared to retire. Almost every decision that we make might change if we were serious about being able to retire some day. The Levites had no choice - but we do. Let's use our freedom to choose and choose the financial freedom that will allow us to enjoy the fruit of our labor.

Prayer
"God, please take control of my decision making process and protect me from the failure to plan and prepare for retirement. Amen."

No comments: