Monday, July 1, 2013

Day #1 - Now or Never

I am at a stage in my life when it is critically important for me to have a very specific plan for my future. In many ways I have some “now or never” items on my list of dreams. The truth is that this is not really new. What I mean is that every season in life is critical and every dream should be approached as a ”now or never” undertaking. I wish I had learned that earlier in life.

That is why I decided to make dedicate this month to an updated personal strategy and an intense preparation for a life makeover. It is also why I decided to share my journey and my process with others who want what I want – results in their lives that they have never seen before. Welcome to our July makeover!

Every journey begins by defining the destination. The road to success begins with setting goals. And goals that have real value have a timetable and schedule included. I have always achieved more when I have given myself a deadline. In setting deadlines I have always considered the fact that there are only two possibilities as it relates to the future: either I will be here after a certain date or I will not be here. It sounds very simple. But putting the future into that frame always positions me to hope for the best, prepare for the worst and set goals for both. A goal without a deadline is just dream!

I have learned that it is possible to accomplish tremendous success in 31 days. In the past I have lost a lot of weight in 31 days - I have had surgery to remove cancer from my body in 31 days - I have written a book in 31 days. 31 days is 744 hours. That is a lot of time. Spent wisely and aimed at a specific goal, we can all achieve great results in 744 hours!

This month – for the second time in my life - I have decided to pursue some new goals and to share my process with anyone who would like to do the same. Today is Day #1 on our new 31 day journey. And the task today is to set a goal for August 1. Remember - either we will be here on August 1 or we will not. To prepare for the possibility of not being here we should “get our houses in order.”

The other possibility is that we will be alive on August 1. Since most of us plan to be here, we should be asking ourselves at least one of these questions: Who will I be on August 1 - What will I have that I currently don't have on August 1 - What will I accomplish between now and August 1?

A proverb says that the journey of a thousand mile begins with one step. The first step for us to paint a picture of ourselves - at least write a sentence about ourselves - and describe what and who we will see when we look in our mirrors on August 1.

Today the task to is become as focused as possible on who we want to become. The clearer our vision for ourselves, the easier the strategy for getting there will be.

Action items:
   1.     Make sure you are prepared for the unlikely event of an early departure.
   2.     Identify at least one thing you will start doing, have in your possession or complete by August 1.
   3.     Write your goal, place in a sealed envelope and have someone mail it to you on July 28.


Let’s go!

No comments: