Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February 17 - dfree® Devotions for Financial Freedom

Verse
Now then, just as the Lord promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the wilderness. So here I am today, eighty-five old! I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Joshua 14:10&11 NIV

Thought
Joshua was 85 years old and his testimony was that he was just as strong and vigorous as he was when he was 45 years old. Amazing! But this is not an impossible fete to accomplish. It requires hard work. It means taking care of one's body. It means eating nutritious food, getting plenty of exercise, drinking lots of water, and having proper amounts of rest. It means taking control of our bodies and our health in ways that many of us fail to do.

Too many people believe that it costs too much money to maintain a healthy lifestyle. In fact the truth is exactly the opposite of such thinking: it costs much more to be unhealthy than it does to be healthy.

I met a fellow once whose car always looked like it had just rolled off of the new car lot. The car was spotless and it had a flawless waxing all the time. The rims on the wheels glistened in the sunlight and sparkled as he drove down the street. This car was at least 10 years old when I first saw it. But it looked brand new. I could not imagine the amount of time the owner of the car spent keeping the car in such immaculate condition. The tragedy was that the owner died while in his mid-thirties from a preventable disease that was made worse by the food he chose to eat.

It makes no sense to take better care of our possessions than we do our bodies. Joshua did not just end up as a strong, 85 year old man. He had to work on making that happen. And so do we.

Prayer
"God, give me the discipline that I need to take care of my body and my health. Amen"

No comments: