Friday, February 22, 2013

dfree® Tip of the Week






Dear Friend,

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Long ago, I decided I needed to look like a preacher (please forgive the stereotype).  So instead of buying small, used, affordable cars, I bought big, expensive cars like Cadillacs and Lincoln Continentals although I could not afford them.  When buying those cars, I examined the leather seats, fancy features, and top of the line radios, and never asked about interest rates!

After 15 years of living this way, I was under a mountain of debt from high interest financing.  Finally, I started what I call my “power strategy”.  That simply means that I made the largest payments I could afford in order to reduce my debt as quickly as possible.  I paid as much of the principal, (the actual balance due), as often as I could.  At the time, it seemed almost impossible but I had to constantly remind myself that the money battle is won with patience - one payment, one bill, one victory at a time.  How do you eat the elephant of debt?  One bite at a time!

This weekend, read and study Philippians 4:13, and pray for strength to take that first bite.

DeForest B. Soaries, Jr.

No comments: